Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hospital Scare

Early Sunday morning Tyler woke up with intense abdominal pain and cramping.  He threw up a couple times and we thought he just had a stomach bug.  A few hours later, the pain got worse, more throwing up- this time because of pain, and he was shaking and hyperventilating.  He decided it wasn't just the flu and that he needed some major pain drugs and to see a doctor.
We drove the 20 minutes up to UCI, since Tyler works there and knows the people.  It was pretty hilarious listening to him give his medical history since he knows what they want to hear and used all his professional terminology. 
This is after huge doses of pain meds.  It took a lot to get him to calm down! 
 
His electrolytes were all out of whack and had some other strange labs.  They pumped him full of fluids trying to get his lactic acid down.  Two CT scans and an ultrasound later, the only finding was a partially obstructed small intestine.  They aren't sure what caused the intense pain or what would have caused the obstruction.  They decided to admit him to monitor him overnight.
At this point, poor Bridgette was falling apart.  She had been sitting on my lap or was held for the whole time we'd been in the ED.  I decided to head home to let her nap.
Tyler was finally transferred at 6 pm.  I was able to leave Bridgette sleeping at home while an awesome girl in our ward sat at our apartment, so I could go up to visit Tyler.  Nothing eventful happened overnight, and his pain was mostly gone.  He was discharged at 11am the next day and is doing fine now.  We are relieved it turned out to be nothing major but it sure gave us a scare!  I have never seen Tyler in so much pain.  We are hoping it isn't something that will occur again in the future.

3 comments:

Traci M said...

That sounds so scary! I hope everything is resolved now!

Dallin and Janelle Lewis said...

Eek! That sounds horrible. I hope it never happens again.

Barbara said...

Oh my goodness Rebe! That must have been terrifying. I'm glad he is doing ok now.

Contributors